Buffalo Scholastic Rowing Association (BSRA), a nonprofit rowing organization located at 405 Ohio St. in Buffalo, will host National Learn to Row Day from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday, June 1. The event is free and open to individuals 11 years of age and older.
Hands-on tutorials on an indoor rowing machine and on the water will be offered from 9 to 11 a.m., and informational tours will be offered until 3 p.m. Please call 800-5460 for more information.
Additionally, several BSRA teams participated earlier this month in the New York State Rowing Association’s New York State Championship Races on Fish Creek in Saratoga Springs. Following are some BSRA results:
• Canisius High School Freshmen Eight placed 4th overall and 4th scholastically and received a bid for the Scholastic Rowing Association (SRAA) National Championships in Dillion Lake, Ohio, May 24-25. Team members include Luke LoTempio, Ben Sayers, Zachary Siwiec, Anthony Davoli, John Barry, Tyler Siwiec, Phillip Attea, Rowland Richards and Charlie Fortner.
• Canisius High School Freshmen Four placed 5th overall and 2nd scholastically. Team members include Benny Coffey, Francis Eskera, Aidan Long, Peter Spira and Henry Neil.
• Cansius High School Junior Men’s Eight took home a gold medal, advancing to SRAA Championships. Team members include Owen Wittman, James Oh, Oscar Neil, Riley Eagan, Jed Dietrich, Andrew Skakal, Connor Long, Jeffrey Mueller and Aidan Hart-Nova.
• Canisius High School Junior Men’s Four took home a bronze medal for scholastic boats placing 4th overall, advancing to SRAA Championships. Team members include Sam Sullivan, Nathaniel Siwiec, Dylan Sass, Zachary Mecca and Miles Keller.
• Canisius High School Men’s Lightweight Four took home a gold medal, advancing to SRAA Championships. Team members include George Weckerle, George Korn, Zachary Porter, Zachary Mecca and Nathaniel Sass.
• Canisius High School Senior Men’s Double took home a silver medal for scholastics placing 9th overall and advancing to SRAA Championships. Team members include Tom Feeney and Will Ezquerro.
• Buffalo Seminary Women’s Novice Eight placed 10th overall winning the Petite Final and 7th scholastically. Team members include Gabby Oddo, Rowan Brown, Molly Schultz, Lydia Eno, Kelsey Hammel, Martha Odhiambo, Ceci Rath, Mina Dreishpoon and Sarah Abramowitz.
• Buffalo Seminary Women’s Varsity Four placed 15th overall and 5th scholastic. Team members include Isabel Finkbeiner, Alivia LaRue, Emma Hammel, Anya Casey and Sophie Bates.
• BSRA Women’s Varsity Four+ finished 3rd in the Petit Final and 12th out of 42 entries. Team members include Kathryn Bergman, Christina Spira, Destiny Severn, Chloe Freedenberg and Erin Jackson.
• BSRA Junior Men’s Four+ finished 17 out of 35 entries. Team members include Kerry Sullivan, Adam Roesch, Macuen Harper, Micheal Cheney and Matt Giglio.
For more information on the Buffalo Scholastic Rowing Association, founded in 2010, please visit https://rowbuffalo.com. You can also follow the organization on Facebook for frequent updates.