(Welcome to the weekly pet column of Pet Connection Programs Inc. of Marilla, N.Y. A new article is posted each week, so be sure to check back on a regular basis!)
August 26 marks National Dog Day. Not only an annual celebration honoring dogs, it is also an awareness campaign meant to encourage the public to acknowledge the overwhelming number of dogs that need to be rescued. Here are a few ways to celebrate your family can celebrate the occasion:
• Take your best friend on an extra long walk or go a trip to a local dog-friendly lake or beach.
• Adopt a dog from a shelter or rescue organization.
• Collect and distribute supplies and donate them to a dog shelter.
• Watch your favorite dog-centric movie.
• Spread the word by encouraging your friends to adopt, not shop.
— StatePoint Media
(For more information on pets and animal adoption, please visit www.petconnectionprogramsinc.com. Or, visit their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/PetConnectionProgramsinc. Located in Marilla, N.Y., Pet Connection Programs Inc. is a nonprofit maternity and special care shelter founded in 1984.)