(Welcome to the weekly pet column of Pet Connection Programs Inc. of Marilla, N.Y. A new article is posted each week, so be sure to check back on a regular basis!)
During the holidays, there are endless ways to show the humans around you how much you love them. Finding ways to extend the joy of the season to pets who are a part of the family takes a bit more creativity.
Here are five ideas for celebrating with furry friends this holiday season:
1. Spend quality time together. Between shopping, cooking and decorating, the hustle and bustle of the season can be distracting. However, no matter what’s going on, it’s important to spend quality time with your pet each day. So, go on some extra long walks with your dog, extend your cat’s playtime sessions and brush your pet’s coat. These activities may help alleviate situational anxiety brought on by shifting holiday routines.
2. Pamper your pet. The holiday season can be tiring and stressful on every member of the family, including your dog. Gift your dog relaxation and better health with Pet Releaf CBD-infused Edibites. Whether your dog is in incredible health or is experiencing discomfort, these chews offer a needed immune system turbo boost, making them a great daily supplement. Not only that, they have calming and soothing properties, which may help ease your pet’s situational anxiety should travel or houseguests be part of your plans this season. Containing human-grade ingredients, no fillers and no chemical preservatives, these handmade chews come in flavors like Peanut Butter & Banana, Blueberry & Cranberry and even Pizza!
3. Stuff your pet’s stocking. A whopping 72 percent of pet parents plan to give their pets a gift or stocking stuffer this holiday season, according to a recent Pet Releaf survey conducted by The Harris Poll. Not only is hanging a stocking for pets a fun way to include them in a family tradition, it’s also a great opportunity to give products a test run. Look for pet products offered in trial or small sizes, such as CBD-infused Edibites Hemp Oils, Liposome Hemp Oils, or Hemp Oil Capsules.
4. Decorate safely. When selecting holiday décor, prioritize your pet’s safety above all. Steer clear of plants toxic to pets, like holly, poinsettias and mistletoe; and avoid stringy items such as tinsel, curling ribbons or other tree and gift trimmings that when ingested, can cause intestinal blockage.
5. Outfit your pet. Taking a festive family portrait for this year’s greeting card? Just want your pet to be comfortable and stylish on all those winter walks in the months ahead? With several major retailers offering ugly holiday sweaters for pets in a variety of sizes and designs, it’s easy to get your pet in on the fun.
For more pet parent tips and insights, visit petreleaf.com/blog.
The holiday season is all about showing loved ones you care. This year, make sure that also includes furry friends.
(For more information on pets and animal adoption, please visit www.petconnectionprogramsinc.com. Or, visit their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/PetConnectionProgramsinc. Located in Marilla, N.Y., Pet Connection Programs Inc. is a nonprofit maternity and special care shelter founded in 1984.)