The 2018 class of the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame features athletes and administrators, Olympians and All Stars, as well as professionals and amateurs — adding to the tapestry of individuals represented in Western New York’s premier athletic hall of fame.
The 15-member class will be inducted during the fall, and includes:
• Werner “Babe” Birrer (D) – Major League and Buffalo Bison pitcher
• Bill Bradshaw – Highly acclaimed college administrator
• Gina Castelli – Canisius College standout hoopster and college coach
• John Faller – Champion Sweet Home football and lacrosse coach
• James Hewson (D) – Track and field Olympian
• Marv Hubbard (D) – Three-time NFL All-Pro fullback
• “Baby” Joe Mesi – Golden Gloves Champion and undefeated heavyweight boxer
• Lonnie Nielsen – PGA golfer and senior tour champion
• Barry Smith – Legendary NHL coach, administrator, Stanley Cup champion
• Louise, Estelle & Mary Weigel (D) – Figure skating champions
• Jimmy “Bug” Williams & Rickey Williams – College and professional basketball standouts
• Jeff Yeates – NFL player and college football standout
(D) Indicates the honoree is being inducted posthumously.
With the 15-member class of 2018, the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame will now have 330 inductees since its inception in 1991.
The date of the induction dinner will be announced in the coming weeks, and the Hall of Fame class will be introduced to the public and the media on Wednesday, June 6 at 4 p.m. in the KeyBank Center in Buffalo.
In addition, when the class is introduced, the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame Board of Directors will also announce its annual monetary awards from its Amateur Sports Development Fund. Money is awarded to amateur athletes, teams and organizations seeking financial assistance to foster the pursuit of a higher level of athletic achievement.
The Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame honors those who have enhanced our lives with their performances and commitment to Western New York sports, an effort surpassed only by the positive impressions they have left on our athletes of tomorrow.
For additional information on the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame, please visit www.gbshof.com.