The 2019 class of the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame features athletes and administrators, Olympians and All Stars, as well as professionals and amateurs – adding to the tapestry of individuals represented in Western New York’s premier athletic hall of fame.
A 13-member class will be inducted during the fall and includes:
- Chuck Crist – Salamanca-born star at Penn State and in the NFL.
- Adam Beattie Gunn (D) – Turn-of-the-19th-century track athlete.
- Joe Horrigan – Executive director of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
- Ed Hughes (D) – NFL head and assistant coach, collegiate star at Tulsa after prepping at Kensington High School.
- Len Jankiewicz – Football coach and athletic director at Lancaster High School.
- Dorothy Jones – Prep and collegiate basketball star and referee.
- Travis Mayer – USA Olympic medal-winning skier.
- Jeff Prescott – New York State and NCAA wrestling champion from Olean.
- Peter Scamurra – First Buffalo-born player to sign an NHL contract.
- Barbara Wachowiak – First Team All-American field hockey player and top-level game official; four-sport athlete at Hamburg High School.
- Peggy Wattles (D) – Prominent champion golfer.
- Will (D) and James “Deacon” White (D) – Professional baseball battery mates in 1800s. Will was first major league player to don eyeglasses.
(D) Indicates the honoree is being inducted posthumously.
With the 13-member class of 2019, the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame will now have 343 inductees since its inception in 1991.
The date of the induction dinner will be announced in the coming weeks, and the Hall of Fame class will be introduced to the public and the media on Tuesday, June 4 at 3:30 p.m. in the KeyBank Center foyer in Buffalo.
In addition, when the class is introduced, the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame Board of Directors will also announce its annual monetary awards from its Amateur Sports Development Fund. Money is awarded to amateur athletes, teams and organizations seeking financial assistance to foster the pursuit of a higher level of athletic achievement. Applications are being accepted until May 6 for the 2019 awards. Interested parties can apply at www.buffalosportshallfame.com/apply-for-funds/.
The Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame honors those who have enhanced our lives with their performances and commitment to Western New York sports, an effort surpassed only by the positive impressions they have left on our athletes of tomorrow. For additional information on the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame, please go to www.gbshof.com.